Canon Announces New 50mm f/1.8 STM lens
Following in the footsteps of the popular 40mm f/2.8 STM lens (a favorite of several at Capture Integration for its small size and weight,) Canon has announced the release of a 50mm f/1.8 STM lens. Like the 40mm, this lens is a smaller, pancake-style lens. By using Canon’s STM techonology, the 50mm supports Movie Servo Autofocus to provide smooth, quiet, and continuous autofocus during video recording, as well as during still capture.
Composed of six elements in five groups, the new Canon EF 50mm f/1.8mm STM lens features an optimized lens placement and Super Spectra Coating (SSC), translating into less ghosting and flaring than the previous model, while at the same time helping to enhance light transmission and optimize color reproduction accuracy. The new lens features a seven blade circular aperture, improved from the predecessor’s five blade non-circular aperture, helping to deliver a more visually appealing blurring effect, and producing sharp images of subjects that truly stand out against beautiful, soft backgrounds. The minimum focusing distance for the lens has been shortened to 1.1 feet from 1.5 feet with a maximum magnification of 0.21x, allowing for more creative close-up photos and videos.
The new Canon EF50mm f/1.8 STM lens is scheduled to be available around the end of May for a retail price of $125.99.
Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 STM Standard Telephoto Prime Lens Specifications Summary:
- Compact, lightweight, fixed focal length standard lens for EOS cameras
- Large f/1.8 maximum aperture
- 80mm effective focal length when attached to EOS cameras with APS-C sensors
- Canon STM gear type stepping motor technology provides quiet autofocusing to support Canon’s EOS Movie Servo AF function
- Improved exterior design including new focus ring placement makes it the most compact Canon EF 50mm lens ever
- New metal mount for stability and ruggedness
- Super Spectra Coating for minimized ghosting and flaring
- Circular seven blade aperture
- 14-inch minimum focusing distance
- 0.21x maximum magnification
All products listed above are available from Capture Integration. Contact us to learn more about these products, as well as many more tools not listed here. The Capture Integration sales team can help you with any/all of your photography needs.
Call us today to schedule your demo at 877-217-9870